Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Day 22: The Right Tools

In sculpting the contours of the body, I was using a tiny, cheap plane I purchased as a pack of three from Harbor Freight. I was having a heckuva time with it and figured it was my lack of experience that was causing the various unintended scratches and gouges I was making in the poor thing. Fortunately, I had ordered an ebony thumb plane from Woodcraft for an unrelated project and it arrived yesterday. I went ahead and tried it out on the body and, voila!, I was amazed.


The thing just glides over the wood and shaves off astonishingly thin curls like a hot knife through butter. I've been making an effort over the last six months to stop purchasing tools at HF and purchase, perhaps not the best, but tools that are vastly better than the Chinese, plastic crap from that place. In this case, the little thumb plane was only $20 - and worth every penny. I love Woodcraft. Now, where's the garbage can?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment