Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Day 18: Sanding Sides

Now that the bridge/pickup box has been completed, I can get on to bending the sides for the faux body. I decided to go with some sapele I had for a guitar build that never happened - at least I never used the wood for a guitar. I picked it up about five years ago, so it's nice to be finally using it. Before I could start on the bend, I cut the wood into 1 3/4" strips. I noticed the resaw marks were pretty nasty on one side. These needed to go, so I started sanding them off with a little orbital sander.


Halfway through the process, I posted a photo to good, old Facebook and my Master harpsichord builders were kind enough to remind me that I should not be sanding tonewood; rather, I should be using hand planes and scrapers, if not my 12" planer. I was already done for the night when I posted the photo, which means I'll not get back to it until tonight. I'm going to start with a card scraper to see how it goes and take it from there.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment