Thursday, February 19, 2015

Day 1: Plans and Wood

My youngest son, Reed, has wanted to learn to play cello for a couple of years now. I don't have the discretionary income to purchase him a cello, but I do have a wood shop and plenty of motivation to knock out an electric one for him. His birthday is April 9, so I'd better get a move on it.

Before deciding to build Reed an electric, I checked out what's available on eBay and instrument sales sites, as well as Craigslist. It turns out there is a wide range of instruments to choose from that run the gamut from around $300 to $2500 or more. I decided pretty quickly that I could put one together using the tools I currently have while purchasing some electronics and pre-made parts off of eBay.

After noodling around the Interwebs, I decided I could pretty easily produce something between this


and this


I'm going with the traditional neck/head stock and will be bending some figured maple to mimic the design in the second photo. I currently have the pre-amp, fingerboard, bridge and bow on the way from China, the rest I will have to get toward the end of the month.  I was, though, able to pick up some nice wood for the body and the stuff I will be bending for the sides.



I picked the body blank up from Gilmer Wood Co. here in NW Portland and the nicely figured piece I will be bending to simulate a body I grabbed at Home Depot for $8, which was purely a matter of chance and good timing.  I also have on hand Henry Strobel's Useful Measurements for Violin Makers. Mr. Strobel's book is an invaluable resource. If you ever want to do something this crazy, you should spend the $12. The graphics below are helping me with angles and measurements, as well.




My next step is to cut the body blank to spec - once I have a solid design for it. I need to take into consideration the tack points of the bent wood, the location of the fingerboard and bridge, etc. I'll keep at it and keep posting my progress here, as well.

Until next time...

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful and ambitious, not to mention very good of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project. I've always admired the innovation that goes into taking an "old world instrument" and modifying it for different reasons; whether it's turning it into an electric instrument, building for portability, or increased ergonomic factors. I've been following Ned Steinberger's designs for a long time now. He has some beautiful stringed instruments with his latest company NS Designs, but they are not inexpensive. Good luck with your project! I'm sure it will make a great birthday gift for your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An electric cello with a Steinberger tuning system would be something, wouldn't it? Thank you for the encouraging words.

      Delete